Who says a good Italian meat sauce needs to simmer for hours? Spicy sausages save time and give lots of kick to this robust bolognese.
- 4 to 5 Italian sausages , preferably hot
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 carrot , diced
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper , optional
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 156-ml can tomato paste
- 450-g pkg spaghetti or fettuccine pasta
- Lightly coat a large, wide saucepan with oil and place over medium heat. Slice sausages in half, then squeeze meat into pan. Discard casings. Stir frequently with a fork to keep meat crumbly, and cook until no longer pink, about 4 min. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil.
- Prepare tomatoes, celery and carrot. Add to sausage along with seasonings and sugar. Stir frequently until vegetables start to soften, from 3 to 5 min. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up and stir in any brown bits from pan bottom. Stir in milk and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Then reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, to develop flavour and thicken sauce slightly, about 15 min.
- About 10 min before sauce is ready, add pasta to boiling water. Cook until al dente, 8 to 10 min. Drain well and serve in large bowls. Top with sauce.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 33 g,
- 106 g,
- 27 g,
- 10 g,