Turkey and white-bean soup
- 500 g turkey sausages , about 5, casings removed
- 1 small onion , diced
- 1 jalapeno , or poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 900-mL carton low-sodium chicken broth
- 540-mL can white kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 2 cups packed chopped kale
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Heat a large pot over medium. Add sausages. Using a fork to break up meat, cook, stirring often, until no pink remains, 4 to 5 min. Stir in onion, pepper, garlic, chili powder and tomato paste. Cook until onion starts to soften, 2 to 3 min.
- Add broth and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-high. Add beans and kale. Cook, stirring occasionally, until kale is cooked, about 5 more min. Remove from heat. Stir in lime juice just before serving.
Use chicken or Italian sausages instead of turkey.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 28 g,
- 22 g,
- 9 g,
- 7 g,
- 1312 mg.
A gentle lemon-grassiness turns up the flavour and clears the decks for every satisfying bite of Turkey & White-Bean Soup. Contrast is the rule of the day: While this cozy soup nourishes and comforts, sauvignon blanc cleanses the palate.
Mission Hill Five Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc, British Columbia, $15.