Prep Tip: Use a deep-frying thermometer for perfect results. Oil temperature should be 325F for cooking Scotch Eggs.
Breakfast-for-dinner: Classic scotch eggsBy Chatelaine
Capture the summer harvest with small-batch preserves. This classic scotch eggs recipe gets an extraordinary flavour boost with a homemade tomato-thyme chutney.
- 6 small eggs
- 500 g hot or mild Italian sausage , meat removed from casings
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable oil
- COVER eggs with water in a large pot. Boil for 3 to 4 min. Transfer eggs into a bowl filled with very cold water. Let cool for 5 min, then peel and pat very dry with paper towels.
- DIVIDE sausage meat into 6 equal portions. Flatten each portion into a 5-in. circle. Lay a boiled egg in the centre of a circle and wrap sausage meat around egg to cover completely. Repeat with remaining eggs and meat.
- POUR panko into a shallow bowl. Coat sausage-covered eggs with panko completely.
- POUR oil into a large pot until it reaches 1/2 in. up the sides. Heat over medium. Add 2 eggs. Cook, turning eggs often, until panko turns golden-brown, about 2 min. Transfer to a paper-towel- lined platter. Repeat with remaining eggs. Serve warm or cold, with Tomato-Thyme Chutney.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 18 g,
- 7 g,
- 24 g,
- 618 mg.