Red Cabbage Steaks with Bulgur SaladBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Dried cherries bring a hint of tartness to this vibrant nutty salad.
- 1 small red cabbage
- 4 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 1 tsp salt , divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 5 tbsp apple cider vinegar , divided
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils
- 1/2 cup medium bulgur
- 3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 400F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Cut cabbage from top to bottom through the core, making 4 slices, each about 3⁄4 in. thick. (Reserve end pieces for another use.) Place cabbage steaks on prepared sheet. Brush both sides with 2 tbsp oil, then sprinkle with 1⁄2 tsp salt and pepper. Drizzle with 3 tbsp vinegar. Cover sheet tightly with foil.
- Roast for 20 min. Remove foil and flip cabbage steaks. Continue roasting, uncovered, until tender, 15 to 20 min more.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 1⁄2 cups water and lentils in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 min. Add bulgur. Return to a boil over high. Reduce heat to low and simmer until tender, 12 to 15 min more. Let stand, covered, for 5 min, and then fluff with a fork. Set aside to cool.
- Stir goat cheese, cherries, thyme, remaining 2 tbsp vinegar, 2 tbsp oil and 1⁄2 tsp salt into bulgur mixture. Serve cabbage steaks with bulgur salad and top with pistachios.
Make this recipe vegan by omitting goat cheese or using a vegan alternative.