Homemade Rum EggnogBy Chatelaine
2 hrs 30 min
Try this festive sipper on its own—or in a delicious latte (or even french toast). Leave out the rum for a nonalcoholic treat.
- 4 large eggs , or 1 cup pasteurized eggs
- 1 cup 3.25% milk
- 1/4 cup 35% cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp dark rum , (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl. Set aside. Fill a large bowl halfway with ice and cold water. Set a large measuring cup (or bowl to fit 3 cups liquid) inside the ice-water bowl. Place a sieve over the measuring cup.
2. Heat milk with cream, sugar and rum in a medium saucepan set over medium-high, swirling saucepan occasionally, about 3 min. When mixture just starts to bubble, remove from heat. While whisking constantly, slowly pour milk mixture into eggs.
3. Reduce heat to low. Pour eggnog back into saucepan and whisk constantly until eggnog starts to steam, 30 sec to 1 min. (Don’t overcook or eggs may curdle.) Immediately pour eggnog through sieve into measuring cup set in ice-water bath. Whisk in vanilla. Let cool completely, whisking occasionally, about 5 min. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve or use.
People with compromised immune systems should avoid the lightly cooked eggs used in this nog. Try pasteurized eggs, like Egg Creations, instead.