Cuban Pork Barley Bowl
Photo, Erik Putz.
With perfectly spiced Cuban pork, tender sweet potatoes and a creamy lime sauce, this barley bowl recipe will go into weekly rotation.
dried oregano leaves
, cut into 3/4-in. cubes
, peeled and cut into 1/2-in. cubes
, drained and rinsed
, coarsely chopped
- Cook barley following package directions until tender, about 25 min. Drain and set aside.
- Whisk orange and lime juices, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt and 1 tbsp oil in a large bowl. Add pork and stir to coat. Let stand for 15 min.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil, then sweet potato. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 min. Transfer to a plate. Add pork to same frying pan, discarding marinade. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 5 min.
- Dressing: In a blender or food processor, whirl avocado with cilantro, lime juice, 3 tbsp olive oil, honey and 1⁄2 cup water until smooth.
- Divide barley among four bowls. Top with sweet potato, pork, kale and black beans. Serve with dressing.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 36 g,
- 75 g,
- 27 g,
- 13 g,
- 285 mg.