Creamy Asparagus & Leek CrespelleBy Chatelaine
Crespelles – Italian versions of crepes - are stuffed with a creamy vegetable and cheese filling for this impressive dinner.
- 1/2 tsp salt , divided
- 1 bunch asparagus , trimmed and halved
- 1 cup and 2 tsp all-purpose flour , divided
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups 2% milk , divided
- 6 tbsp melted butter , divided
- 2 leeks , white parts only, sliced (about two cups)
- 125 g cream cheese , cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 small red bell pepper , diced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley , (optional)
1. Bring 2 cups water and ¼ tsp salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Add asparagus and cook until tender-crisp, about 2 min. Drain and plunge asparagus into a bowl of ice water. Drain and pat dry.
2. Whisk 1 cup flour with baking powder in a medium bowl. Whisk in 1 1/2 cups milk and 2 tbsp melted butter until smooth.
3. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add 1 tsp melted butter. Pour 1/2 cup batter into centre of hot pan. Lift pan and quickly tilt to coat bottom. Cook until top is set and edges begin to turn golden, about 45 sec. Use a rubber spatula to loosen edges, flip and cook 30 sec more. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with 2 tsp melted butter and batter.
4. Remove pan from heat and wipe clean with paper towel. Add remaining 3 tbsp melted butter in pan over medium. Add leeks and cook until golden, about 4 min. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tsp flour and stir. Gradually mix in remaining 1/2 cup milk, then cream cheese. Stir in broth, Dijon, nutmeg, remaining ¼ tsp salt, red pepper and asparagus. Cook, stirring constantly, about 3 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 13 g,
- 44 g,
- 30 g,
- 4 g,
- 794 mg.