1. Butternut-squash soup
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Total: 40 minutes
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into large pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1 apple, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
2 900-mL cartons low-sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp curry powder
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream or plain yogourt
1. Put squash, onion, apple and chicken broth in a large saucepan and set over high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until squash is very soft, about 20 to 30 min.
2. Puree in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to saucepan and stir in curry powder and sour cream until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper.
Serves 12 | Per serving 87 calories, 5 g protein, 18 g carbs, 1 g fat, 2 g fibre, 65 mg sodium.
2. Roasted Chicken with Tarragon and Lemon
Preparation time: 5 min
Total: 1 hr 45 min
1.25-kg whole chicken
1 lemon, halved
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon (or 2 tsp dried)
1 medium onion, chopped
1. Position rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 425F. Place roasting rack in shallow-sided pan. Remove neck and giblets from body cavity of chicken. Set aside for another use. Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Squeeze juice from half of lemon over chicken, then rub with garlic and salt. Season with pepper. Place the tarragon, onion and remaining half of lemon inside the chicken. Transfer chicken to roasting pan and cover pan with foil.
2. Roast chicken in lower third of oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh reads 170F, about 1 hour and 20 min. Remove foil and continue roasting until skin is lightly browned, about 10 more min. Remove from oven to a cutting board. Loosely cover with foil and let stand for 10 min. before carving.
Serves 6 | Per serving 248 calories, 27 g protein, 2 g carbs, 14 g fat, 180 mg sodium.
3. Shrimp Sautéed in Garlic
Preparation time: 10 min
Total: 15 min
500 g peeled raw shrimp
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup dry white wine 1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add shrimp, garlic, parsley and wine. Sauté until shrimp are pink, about 5 min. Serve with lemon wedges.
Serves 2 | Per serving 309 calories, 52 g protein, 8 g carbs, 4 g fat, 1 g fibre, 381 mg sodium.