We’ve updated this classic salad by replacing iceberg lettuce with peppery arugula, subbing pancetta for bacon and adding asparagus.
The modern Cobb
This article has not been rated yet.
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 8 slices pancetta
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- generous pinch salt
- 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or Stilton
- 1 avocado , peeled
- 8 cups baby arugula or spinach
- Coat a frying pan with oil and set over medium. Add chicken and cook until golden, 3 to 4 min per side. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook, turning occasionally, until springy when pressed, 6 to 8 more min. Remove to a plate. Add pancetta to pan. Cook over medium until crisp, 2 to 3 min per side. Remove to a paper towel. Partially fill a large frying pan with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Snap tough ends from asparagus and discard. Boil asparagus until tender-crisp, 3 min. Drain and rinse under cold water. Pat with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, stir buttermilk with chives, salt and pepper. Crumble in cheese. Then, using a fork, mash cheese until mixed into the dressing. It should be a little lumpy. Remove and discard avocado pit. Slice avocado and chicken. Divide arugula between plates. Top with asparagus, chicken, tomatoes and avocado. Drizzle with dressing. Add pancetta.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 37 g,
- 15 g,
- 21 g,
- 7 g,