Panini-style grilled chicken
This speedy main was inspired by the flavour combo of our fave Italian sandwich, with chicken breasts standing in for bread.
- 1/2 bunch asparagus , about 8 spears
- 125 g gorgonzola or cheddar
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 8 large leaves of basil
- generous pinch paprika
- generous pinch salt
- Oil grill and heat barbecue to medium. Partially fill a wide frying pan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Snap tough ends from asparagus and discard. Boil asparagus until tender-crisp, 2 min. Drain. Dry with paper towels. Cut in half crosswise.
- Divide or thinly slice cheese into 4 portions. Working with 1 chicken breast at a time, make a horizontal slit about 2½ in. (6 cm) long and 1½ in. (3.5 cm) deep into thickest side of each breast. Gently open up like a book and place 2 basil leaves on the bottom. Top with 4 pieces of asparagus, then with cheese. Fold chicken over and fasten edges with toothpicks. Sprinkle with paprika and salt.
- To barbecue chicken, place on grill and cook, covered, until it feels springy, 8 to 10 min per side. Or, to cook on the stove, oil a large frying pan and set over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until golden, 3 min per side. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until chicken is springy when pressed, about 8 min, turning halfway through. Remove toothpicks. Lovely with a salad and grilled baby potatoes.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 37 g,
- 2 g,
- 12 g,
- 1 g,
- 554 mg.