Easy polenta lasagna
- 450 g lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion , finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 796-mL can diced tomatoes , drained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp hot-red-chili-flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup beef broth , preferably low-sodium
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- Position oven rack in upper third of oven. Preheat broiler. Lightly spray an 8×8 inch square baking dish.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add beef. Using a fork to break up meat, cook until no pink remains, about 2 min. Add onion, garlic and seasoning. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 min. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, pepper flakes and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 min.
- Boil milk and broth in a medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in cornmeal until thickened but still loose, about 1 min. Pour half of polenta into prepared dish and spread to cover bottom. Top with half of meat mixture. Sprinkle with half of cheese. Repeat with remaining polenta, meat and cheese.
- Broil until cheese is melted, about 5 min. Let stand 5 min before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 31 g,
- 32 g,
- 25 g,
- 3 g,
- 637 mg.
Reach past the cabernet sauvignon to its muscular cousin, cabernet franc. Deep and chewy plum and cherry — with a tickle of clove for added allure — are the flavours to intensify savoury tomato-rich Mediterranean dishes like Easy Polenta Lasagna.
Inniskillin Cabernet Franc, Ontario, $14.