Strawberry rhubarb tiramisu
12 to 16 servings
We borrowed from the decadent layers of cream and liqueur-soaked cookies that make up the classic Italian tiramisu. And our pièce de rèsistance is the layers of ruby-red berry and rhubarb sauce.
- 4 cups sliced fresh rhubarb , or 2 300-g pkgs frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 454-g containers strawberries , about 8 cups
- 475-g container mascarpone
- 1 orange
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 500-mL container 35% cream
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur , such as Grand Marnier
- 2 150-g pkgs giant ladyfingers
- SLICE rhubarb into 1-in. pieces. If using frozen, rinse under cold water to thaw slightly. Pat dry with paper towels. Place in a large saucepan and stir in 1 cup sugar. (No need to add water.) Bring to a boil, stirring often, over medium heat. Then boil gently, stirring occasionally, until a thick sauce is formed, 15 to 20 min. Slice large strawberries in half. Stir all into thickened sauce. Stir 2 min to slightly cook berries. Don’t overcook or they’ll lose colour. Refrigerate until cool, about 30 min.
- PLACE mascarpone in a large bowl. Finely grate in peel from orange. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream with 1 tbsp sugar until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Gently stir about one-quarter into cheese mixture, then gently fold in remainder just until no white streaks remain.
- STIR orange juice with liqueur in a pie plate or shallow dish. Working with half the biscuits, dip both sides into juice mixture, then use to line bottom of a 9×13-in. baking or dessert dish. Spoon half of mascarpone mixture overtop and spread to cover. Spoon half of fruit mixture overtop. Repeat layering beginning with remaining biscuits dipped first in juice mixture. (Pour any leftover juice mixture over biscuits.) Then cover biscuits with remaining mascarpone and finally the fruit mixture. Place dish on a baking sheet to catch overflow resulting when dessert settles. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours, preferably overnight. It will keep well up to 2 days. Berry colour may bleed a little.
Chatelaine Quickies: Poached rhubarb
Nutrition (per serving)
- 7 g,
- 41 g,
- 24 g,
- 2 g,
- 41 mg.