Cornmeal-crusted tomato and pesto steak stack
The humble sandwich goes haute. Build a better sandwich with a few fresh ingredients and some creative upgrades.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp pesto
- 2 large firm tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 strip loin steaks , about 250 g each
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups packed arugula
- Stir mayo with pesto in a small bowl. Cut tops and bottoms off tomatoes and discard. Slice tomatoes into thick slices. Season with 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Pour cornmeal onto a plate and press each slice into cornmeal, coating both sides. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Season steaks with remaining salt and pepper. Add 1 tsp oil, then steaks. Reduce heat to medium. Sauté 3 to 4 min per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 min.
- Wipe pan clean with paper towels and return to burner over medium heat. Add remaining oil, then 4 tomato slices. Cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 min per side. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining tomato slices, adding a little more oil, if needed.
- Slice steaks thinly. Lay 4 tomato slices on 4 plates. Top each with a dollop of pesto mayo, arugula and steak slices. Sandwich with another fried tomato slice.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 26 g,
- 8 g,
- 26 g,
- 2 g,
- 481 mg.