Best breakfast-for-dinner sandwichBy Chatelaine
What could be better - or easier - than eggs and bacon with a slice of cheddar on toasted bread! Serve sammies with a simple side of tomato and avocado slices.
- 150 g extra sharp cheddar
- 8 slices calabrese or whole-grain bread
- 4 tsp ketchup
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 4 large eggs
- 1/8 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 tomatoes , thickly sliced
- 1 avocado , thinly sliced
- Slice cheese into 8 slices. Lay 2 cheese slices each on 4 slices of bread. Spread ketchup on other 4 slices of bread.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium. Add bacon and cook until crisp, 5 to 7 min. Transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Crack eggs into bacon fat and fry over easy, 1 to 2 min. Season with pepper.
- Lay 2 bacon strips on top of cheese, then fried eggs overtop. Sandwich with ketchup-spread bread. Toast sandwiches in same pan until golden brown on both sides, about 3 min. Serve with tomato and avocado slices.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 31 g,
- 61 g,
- 33 g,
- 8 g,
- 1262 mg.
Egg & bacon sandwich – pair it with: A friendly sparkler. The combo of bacon, cheese and tomato is a great match to the Spanish cava’s crisp, palate-refreshing sparkle. When eggs are on the menu, it’s always good to remember that bubbles make all the difference. Our pick: Segura Viudas Brut Reserva Cava, Spain, $16.