Zesty Aztec soup for Meatless MondayBy Chatelaine
Akin to a deconstructed Mexican dip with all the fixings. Add tortilla chips to the bottom of individual bowls, then pour the vegetarian soup over and serve immediately.
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro stems
- 1 to 2 tbsp finely chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
- 660-mL bottle strained tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups crumbled tortilla chips
- 1 small sweet onion , diced
- 1 tomato , seeded and diced
- 1 avocado , peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime , quartered
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high. Add oil, then garlic. Cook until garlic starts to brown, about 15 sec. Add cilantro stems and chipotles. Stir constantly for 1 min. Add tomatoes, salt and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 min. Strain soup though a sieve into a large pot. Discard stems.
- Divide tortilla chips among 4 bowls. Pour hot soup over chips. Top with onion, tomato, avocado, cheddar, sour cream and cilantro. Serve immediately with a wedge of lime.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 9 g,
- 46 g,
- 25 g,
- 7 g,
- 922 mg.
Zesty Tortilla soup – pair it with: A New World white. While many sauvignon blancs from New Zealand are one dimensional, winemaker Ruud Maasdam makes Marlborough wines with nice complexity. Citrus and tropical fruit nuances in this one are a natural fit with savoury soups. Our pick: Staete Landt Map Maker Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand, $20.