Substitution tip: Instead of quinces, use 3 Honeycrisp apples. Reduce simmering time to about 5 min.
Quince tarte tatinBy Chatelaine
Sweet, fragrant and available only at this time of year, these exquisite apple-like fruits are a little-known treat. Use them in an easy, classic French recipe for a stunning autumn dessert.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup ice water
- crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream , if desired
- 3 small quinces , peeled, cored and cut into 48 slices
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- orange zest , from 1 orange
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter , grated
- WHIRL flour with 1/2 tsp sugar and 1/2 tsp salt in a food processor. Add 1/2 cup butter and pulse until mixture looks crumbly. Add ice water in a slow, steady stream through the spout until dough comes together. Divide into 2 portions. Form into 4-in. discs and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 45 min.
- COMBINE quinces with 1/2 cup sugar, orange peel and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Cover with water. Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until quinces are tender, about 15 min. Discard orange peel. Strain and reserve quince slices.
- PREHEAT oven to 425F. Set aside 2 9-in. pie plates.
- COMBINE 1 cup sugar with water, lemon juice and 1/4 tsp salt in a medium saucepan and set over high. Boil, swirling pan occasionally, until sugar dissolves and mixture turns light brown, about 8 min. Immediately pour caramel into both pie plates and tilt plates to coat the bottoms. Scatter 1/4 cup grated butter evenly over caramel. Arrange overlapping quince slices on both plates.
- ROLL out pastry discs until both are about 9 in. wide. Place each pastry round over filling and tuck edges around fruit (not over rim of pie plate).
- BAKE in centre of oven until tops of pastry are dark golden and caramel is bubbly around edges, about 20 min. Transfer to a rack and let stand just until the bubbling stops, about 2 min. To remove tarts from pie plates, using oven mitts, hold a serving plate over a pie plate and invert. Gently shake pie plate to release tart. Spoon any extra caramel overtop. Cut each tart into 4 wedges. Serve with crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 47 g,
- 18 g,
- 1 g,
- 220 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin A