- 6 slices maple bacon , chopped
- 1 large onion , thinly sliced
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 397-g pkg frozen puff pastry , defrosted
- 8 eggs
- Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 375F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or foil.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add bacon and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and brown, 12 to 15 min. Add spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted, about 2 min. Set aside.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface into 2 10×10-in. squares. Pastry will be thin, and edges will be uneven. Transfer each square to a prepared baking sheet. Divide spinach mixture between both pastry squares, leaving 1/2-in. border around the edges. With the back of a spoon, make 4 shallow wells in the spinach mixture of each tart. (The eggs will later be cracked into these wells.)
- Bake in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching sheets halfway through, until pastry is very lightly golden and just puffed around the edges, about 12 min. Remove sheets from oven. Carefully crack an egg into each well on both tarts. Continue baking until egg whites are set, but yolks are still runny, switching sheets halfway through, 12 to 14 more min. Serve immediately, with Cherry Tomato Jam if you like.
Cook spinach mixture the day before. Refrigerate until ready to assemble tart.
Use regular bacon. Add 2 tbsp maple syrup to mixture before adding the spinach.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 13 g,
- 26 g,
- 32 g,
- 2 g,
- 311 mg.