Pearl Barley Salad with Roasted Root VegetablesBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
6 to 8
This recipe makes an easy and nice grainy salad full of roasted root vegetables, pomegranate and dill. — Amy Rosen
- 1 900-mL carton vegetable broth
- 2 cups pearl barley , rinsed and drained
- 1 large sweet potato , peeled
- 2 parsnips , peeled
- 2 carrots , peeled
- 1/2 small red onion , thinly sliced into half moons
- 3 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 2 lemons , juiced
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 cup chopped dill
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds , toasted
1. Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 425F.
2. Combine broth and barley in a medium saucepan set over high. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed, 30 to 35 min.
3. Meanwhile, cut sweet potato, parsnips and carrots into equal, bite-sized pieces. Toss vegetables and onion with 1 tbsp oil on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Roast, stirring halfway through, until lightly browned and fork-tender, about 20 min.
4. Fluff cooked barley with a fork, and then transfer to a large serving bowl. Set barley and roasted vegetables aside and let cool slightly.
4. Whisk remaining 2 tbsp oil, lemon juice and honey in a small bowl. Drizzle over barley. Add roasted vegetables, dill and pomegranate seeds. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with almonds. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Get more Hanukkah recipe inspiration
with our collection here.