Latkes with Green Goddess SauceBy Chatelaine
6 to 8
Latkes are traditionally served with applesauce and sour cream, but here I propose a herbaceous green goddess sauce, a play on the sour cream that provides a lot more interest and oomph. It works well with the latkes—and also with everything else on the plate.—Amy Rosen
Green Goddess Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 small clamshell pkg tarragon , leaves removed from stems
- 1 small clamshell pkg chives , coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , chopped
- 1 tsp anchovy paste , or 1 anchovy, finely chopped
- 1 lemon , juiced
- 8 russet potatoes , scrubbed
- 2 small onions
- 3 large eggs , beaten
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil , for frying
1. Sauce: Combine mayo, sour cream, tarragon, chives, garlic, anchovy and lemon juice in a blender. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Blend again. Pour into a serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. Latkes: Coarsely grate potatoes (no need to peel them) onto a clean tea towel. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible by twisting towel (potato shreds should be as dry as possible). Transfer potatoes to a large bowl and grate onions overtop. Stir in eggs and flour until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Pour enough oil into a large cast iron pan (or any heavy-bottomed pan) until it reaches 1⁄2 in. up the side. Set over medium. When oil is hot, add heaping tablespoonfuls of latke mixture, frying 4 or 5 at a time, until deeply golden-brown, about 3 min per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining latke mixture, adding more oil as needed.
4. Serve latkes hot, topped with Green Goddess Sauce. Sprinkle with more chopped herbs, if desired.
Kitchen tip: Any extra sauce can be refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 5 days. It’s also great with salmon or as a salad dressing.
Make-ahead tip: Sauce and latkes can be made up to 1 day ahead. Refrigerate, and then reheat latkes, in a 200F oven until hot, when guests arrive.
Get more Hanukkah recipe inspiration
with our collection here.