From the kitchen of Maria Caruso.
This article has not been rated yet.
2 hrs 10 min
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 100-g pkgs whole almonds , roasted and chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 100-g pkgs filberts or hazelnuts , roasted and skins removed, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup candied orange or lemon peel
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Stir flour with baking powder and cream of tartar in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat eggs with granulated sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high, until pale and frothy, 2 to 3 min. Beat in lemon and orange zests, lemon and orange juices and vanilla. Gradually stir in flour mixture until combined. Stir in almonds, filberts and peel. Dough will be slightly sticky.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Shape into an 8 × 10-in. rectangle, about 1/2 in. thick. Cut lengthwise into 4 flat logs, about 2 in. wide. Coat logs with icing sugar, pressing gently so it adheres. Arrange 2 logs on each baking sheet.
- Bake in centre of oven, 1 sheet at a time, until centres of logs are firm, about 20 min. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Using a serrated knife, slice logs diagonally into 1/2-in.-thick pieces. Place cut-side down on the baking sheet and bake until lightly golden, 10 to 12 more min. Cool completely on a rack. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month. (Prep Tip: To toast and skin filberts, lay nuts on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until lightly golden, 8 to 10 min. Transfer hot nuts onto a clean tea towel. Rub nuts with towel until skin comes away.)
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2 g,
- 8 g,
- 3 g,
- 1 g,
- 5 mg.