Serve tempeh burger without the soy sauce-based beet-chup to make it vegetarian.
Tempeh Superfood BurgerBy Chatelaine
Tempeh is a dense fermented-soy cake that has a firm, pleasantly chewy texture. Look for it in the refrigerated natural foods section of the grocery store.
- 250-g pkg tempeh
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns , toasted
- 1/2 cup Kale-Wanut pesto , (recipe link below)
- 1/2 cup Beet ketchup , (recipe link below)
- 1/2 cup Pickled carrots , (recipe link below)
- 1/4 cup kale chips
- 4 radishes , thinly sliced
- Preheat barbecue to medium.
- Slice tempeh horizontally into 2 flat pieces, then cut each piece in half forming 4 rectangles. Brush both sides with oil. Sprinkle with salt. Season with pepper.
- Oil grill and barbecue tempeh, flipping halfway through, until grill marks form, 3 to 4 min per side. Serve on toasted buns with Kale-Walnut Pesto, Beet Ketchup, Pickled Carrots, Kale Chips and radishes.
- Tempeh is slightly higher in calories than tofu but is less processed and has more protein and fibre.
- Tempeh is a dense fermented-soy cake with a pleasantly chewy texture. Find it in the refrigerated natural foods section of the grocery store.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 20 g,
- 44 g,
- 23 g,
- 7 g,
- 674 mg.