Dec 1, 2017Chatelaine
stalks lemon grass
shallots, peeled and quartered
1 2-in. piece
fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 tbsp
pork back ribs, about 2 kg
baguettes, cut into 2-in. pieces, or 16 to 20 bao buns
- CUT off woody ends from lemon grass. Peel off dried outer layers, then pound with the blunt side of a knife to bruise. Thinly slice bottom third of stalks, discarding tops. Pulse lemon grass, shallots, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce and chili-garlic sauce in a food processor until it forms a loose paste.
- CUT ribs into 3- to 5-rib portions to fit slow cooker insert. Sprinkle ribs with salt, then coat with lemon grass paste. Pour 2/3 cup water into slow cooker, then arrange ribs, meat-side up, overtop. Cook until meat is very tender, flipping ribs halfway, 8 hr on low or 5 hr on high.
- GARNISHES: Boil vinegar, water, granulated sugar and salt in a small saucepan until sugar is dissolved, 2 to 3 min. Add carrots and let stand, stirring occasionally, 10 min. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
- PREHEAT oven to 450F, then line a baking sheet with parchment. Transfer ribs to prepared sheet and sauce into a saucepan. Skim any fat, then bring to a boil over medium-high until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, 25 to 30 min. Spoon sauce over ribs to coat. Bake until ribs turn dark brown, about 10 min. Cut into 1-rib portions and transfer to a serving platter.
- SERVE ribs in baguette pieces. Top with carrots, pickled ginger, cilantro, crushed peanuts and any extra sauce on the side to drizzle.
Make-ahead tip: The night before, cook ribs in the slow cooker on low. Remove ribs, reduce sauce and refrigerate both. Bring ribs to room temperature, then proceed with recipe.
NutritionCalories 700, Protein 40 g, Carbohydrates 85 g, Fat 22 g, Fibre 4 g, Sodium 724 mg.
Chatelaine Quickies: Gourmet hot dogs