This chicken is usually served finely chopped, as opposed to on the bone.
Grilled Chicken Legs (Inihaw Na Manok)By Chatelaine
A classic Filipino recipe that uses lemon-lime soda, enjoy these grilled chicken legs as part of your very own kamayan, a communal-style buffet.
- 3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 cup lemon-lime soda
- 1/3 cup apple-cider or cane vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp garlic , minced
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1.5 kg skin-on chicken leg , (about 4)
1. Whisk soy sauce with soda, vinegar, sugar, garlic and pepper in a bowl until sugar is dissolved. Reserve and refrigerate cup in a small bowl. Pour remaining marinade into a resealable freezer bag. Trim excess fat from chicken, and slash each thigh to the bone once. Add chicken to marinade, then squeeze out as much air as possible from bag. Seal and massage bag to coat meat. Refrigerate at least 4 hr, preferably overnight. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before grilling.
2. Preheat barbecue to medium. Oil grill. Barbecue chicken, lid closed, turning every 5 min, until springy when pressed, 30 to 35 min.
3. Meanwhile, bring 1 cup marinade from bag to a boil in a medium pot over high. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until thick and syrupy, 6 to 8 min. Baste chicken with thickened marinade 10 min before removing from heat. Let stand 5 min, then cut into smaller pieces. Serve with reserved soy mixture for dipping.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 43 g,
- 19 g,
- 16 g,
- 1062 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin B6