Crispy Szechuan duck with braised napa & shiitakesBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Duck breasts are available in almost every supermarket. To cross-hatch the skin and fat before cooking, cut right into the fat and stop short just before the flesh.
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth , divided
- 4 garlic cloves , minced, divided
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp fancy molasses
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark sesame oil
- 2 duck breasts , (400 g each)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 227-g pkgs fresh shiitake mushrooms , stems removed
- 1 small napa cabbage , cut into eighths lengthwise with core intact
- PREHEAT oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- WHISK 1/4 cup broth with half of garlic, ketchup, molasses, ginger, vinegar, soy, sesame oil and chili flakes in a small saucepan and set over medium-high. Boil until sauce thickens and reduces to 1/2 cup, 3 to 5 min. Set aside and cover to keep warm. LAY duck breasts, skin-side up, on cutting board. Using a sharp knife tip, cross-hatch skin and fat in a diamond pattern. Sprinkle with salt. Season with fresh pepper.
- HEAT a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Place duck, skin-side down, in pan. Cook until skin is golden and crisp, 8 to 10 min. Reduce heat if browning too quickly. Transfer duck, skin-side up, to prepared sheet. Roast until medium-rare, 8 to 10 min. Let stand 10 min before slicing.
- RESERVE fat from pan in a small bowl. Add 1 tbsp fat to pan over medium- high. Add mushrooms and sauté until soft, 3 to 4 min. Stir into warm sauce in saucepan. Add 1 tbsp of remaining fat to pan, then cabbage. Sauté for 2 min. Add remaining 3/4 cup broth and garlic, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, turning cabbage often, until tender, 5 to 7 min. Divide cabbage among 4 plates. Top with mushroom sauce and sliced duck.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 27 g,
- 22 g,
- 18 g,
- 3 g,
- 715 mg.