Baked Chicken Freekeh BowlBy Chatelaine
Get your freekeh on with this tasty grain bowl. Baked chicken, lettuce, tomatoes and red onion all hang out in a delicious tahini dressing.
- 1 cup freekeh
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tsp olive oil , divided
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 3 1/2 tbsp lemon juice , divided
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- prepared hummus , optional
- pomegranate seeds , optional
- mint leaves , optional
- Cook freekeh following package directions until tender, 20 to 25 min. Drain and set aside.
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Whisk 1⁄4 cup oil with garlic, 21⁄2 tbsp lemon juice, paprika, cumin, salt, cinnamon and pepper flakes in a large bowl. Reserve half of dressing in a small bowl. Toss chicken into large bowl with dressing. Let stand for 15 min.
- Shake excess marinade off chicken and arrange on prepared sheet. Bake until golden and cooked through, about 18 min. Thinly slice and set aside.
- Stir tahini with remaining 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp oil and 4 tsp water in a small bowl until smooth.
- Divide freekeh among four bowls. Add chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, a dollop of hummus, pomegranate seeds and mint. Serve with reserved dressing and tahini mixture.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 49 g,
- 42 g,
- 31 g,
- 10 g,
- 776 mg.
- Good source of
- vitamin A