Sticky caramel buns
You'd never guess store-bought pizza dough is the foundation for these gooey caramel- covered breakfast rolls. Enjoy them while you can: They have a funny way of disappearing from our test kitchen.
- 700-g pkg pizza dough
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup pecan halves
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup Skor toffee bits
- 1/3 cup currants
- If pizza dough is frozen, thaw in refrigerator. Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Butter a 9-in. (2.5-L) square baking dish or 10-in. (25-cm) deep-dish pie plate. Don’t use a non-stick pan. Dust rolling pin and counter with flour and place dough on top. Roll dough into a rectangle at least 12 x 14 in. (30 x 35 cm). If it bounces back after rolling, rest dough before proceeding.
- For topping, melt 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter in a small saucepan. (Or, in a medium bowl, melt in microwave.). Stir in 1/3 cup (75 mL) brown sugar, corn syrup and vanilla until evenly mixed. Spread over bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle with pecan halves.
- For filling, in a bowl, stir 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter with 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar and cinnamon. Spread over dough to cover all but 1/2 in. (1 cm) of the long edge, farthest from you. While spreading, don’t stretch dough. Sprinkle with pecans, Skor bits and currants. Beginning with long edge closest to you, tightly roll dough in jelly-roll fashion. Slice into 9 rounds, from 11/2 in. to 2 in. (3.5 to 5 cm) thick. Lay rounds, cut side down, in baking dish. Set dish on a baking sheet to catch any spills.
- Bake in centre of oven until buns are deep golden, 40 to 45 min. Remove to a rack. Let stand just 5 min. Then cover dish with a large plate. Carefully flip buns onto plate. Spoon topping left in dish back over buns. Caramel buns are wonderful warm, but will keep well at room temperature up to a day or in freezer up to 1 month
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8 g,
- 68 g,
- 31 g,