This article has not been rated yet.
- Preparation time:
- 15 minutes
- Baking Time:
- 20 minutes
- 12 muffins or 1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raisins
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) orange juice
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground cinnamon and allspice
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) mace
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cloves (optional)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) candied mixed peel
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped dried apricots
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, melted
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
Here’s how to get all the spices you’ve grown to love in hot cross buns without messing around with yeast dough. Bake as muffins or a loaf.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Place raisins in a small bowl. Pour juice overtop. Microwave, covered, until hot, 1 minute. Set aside. Lightly coat or spray a 12-cup muffin tin or 9×5-inch (2-L) loaf pan with oil. In a large bowl, using a fork, stir flour with sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, mace, salt and cloves. Stir in raisin mixture, candied peel and apricots.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk egg. Whisk in milk, oil, butter and vanilla. Pour over flour mixture. Stir just until mixed. Batter will be lumpy. Divide between muffin cups or scrape into loaf pan and smooth top.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven until a cake tester inserted into centre of muffins or loaf comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes for muffins, 1 hour for loaf. Remove pan to a cooling rack. After 5 minutes, remove from pan and cool completely on rack. Store muffins or loaf in an airtight container and store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 2 months.
Stir 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) sifted icing sugar with 4 tsp (20 mL) orange juice until smooth. Drizzle over cooled muffins in a criss-cross pattern to mimic hot cross buns or spoon over loaf, if you wish.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 3.6 g
- 7.6 g
- 42.3 g
- 1.7 g
- 1.5 mg
- 69 mg
- 197 mg