- Preheat oven to 400F. Using a mandolin, slice potatoes no thicker than 1/4 in.
- Heat 2 tbsp butter in a medium-sized ovenproof frying pan, about 9 in., over medium. Once it bubbles, start layering potatoes in a spiral, beginning in the centre, overlapping slightly to cover pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat with remaining potatoes, seasoning between each layer.
- Using the back of a spatula, press down on centre of potatoes to even out. Brush with remaining butter. (This whole process should take 5 to 7 min.) Using a spatula, lift up bottom layer of potatoes and take a peek. The base should be a golden brown. Cover pan with foil.
- Bake in centre of oven for 25 min. Remove foil, then continue baking until potatoes are tender, browntinged and crisp around the edges, 20 to 30 more min. Remove from oven and let stand 10 min.
- Run a knife or flexible metal spatula around the edges and underneath potatoes before unmoulding. Gently shake the pan from side to side. When the cake moves easily in the pan, place a flat serving plate on top of pan and turn over to unmould. Slice into wedges.
This is excellent as a side dish for any meal, or you can turn it into brunch by topping wedges with a poached egg or smoked salmon, sour cream and dill.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2 g,
- 17 g,
- 4 g,
- 1 g,
- 180 mg.