Treat yourself to spicy barbecued shrimp on luxurious island-style creamy rice in our shrimp with coconut rice salad.
Shrimp with coconut rice salad
- 8 wooden skewers
- 400-mL can coconut milk , preferably light
- 1 cup basmati or long-grain rice
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp hot-red-chili-flakes
- 250 g green beans
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced
- 1 ripe mango , peeled
- 2-Jan English cucumber
- 340-g pkg frozen uncooked shrimp
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Soak skewers in water 20 min. Pour coconut milk into a large measuring cup. Add water to make 21/2 cups (625 mL). Pour into a large saucepan. Stir in rice, cardamom, cinnamon stick, salt and chili flakes. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir and reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 10 min. Trim beans and slice in half. After rice has cooked 10 min, scatter beans overtop. Cover and cook, until liquid is absorbed, 10 min. Turn into a large bowl. Discard cinnamon stick. Stir in onions. Set aside.
- Slice mango into thin bite-size strips. Slice cucumber in half lengthwise. Scrape out and discard seeds. Coarsely chop. Stir both into rice mixture.
- Oil grill and preheat barbecue to medium. Place shrimp in a colander and rinse under cold running water to melt ice. Pat dry. Place in a bowl. Add oil, coriander and garlic salt. Toss to coat. Thread 4 to 5 shrimp on a skewer. For easy turning, thread a second skewer through shrimp. Repeat. Grill until shrimp are pink, about 2 min per side. Serve kebabs over coconut rice salad.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 23 g,
- 57 g,
- 10 g,