One-pot Asian rice
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice , rinsed well and drained
- 3 cups no-salt chicken broth
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 to 2 tsp chili-garlic sauce
- 113-g pkg fresh shiitake mushrooms , stems removed and quartered
- 4 stalks Chinese broccoli or baby bok choy
- 1 tsp dark sesame oil
- Heat a large pot over medium-high. Add canola oil, then chicken. Cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 min per side. Transfer chicken to a plate. Add garlic, ginger and rice to pot. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 min. Add broth. Stir in hoisin and chili-garlic sauce. Arrange mushrooms and chicken over rice and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until rice is almost tender, 10 to 12 min.
- Remove lid. Lay greens over chicken and rice. Cover and continue simmering until greens are just tender, about 5 more min. Drizzle sesame oil over finished dish before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 26 g,
- 65 g,
- 11 g,
- 3 g,
- 334 mg.
FRAGRANT CHICKEN RICE
Pair it with: A complex grape.
Although the variety is native to France’s northern Rhone valley, some of the world’s oldest marsanne vines grow in Tahbilk in Australia’s Victoria region. This is a fabulously multi-layered wine that complements Asian flavours.
Our pick: p 244 Tahbilk Marsanne, Australia, $17.
For all your Holiday must-haves click here for our Shopping List.