Sprinkle with nutritional yeast for a vegan-friendly cheesy flavour.
Vegan mushroom bologneseBy Chatelaine
- 1 small onion , halved
- 1 small carrot , coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 celery stalk , coarsely chopped (1/3 cup)
- 227 g cremini or king oyster mushrooms , coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil , coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 540 mL can red kidney beans
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 398 mL can diced tomatoes
- 5 thyme sprigs
- Fettuccia riccia noodles
- COMBINE onion, carrot and celery in a food processor. Pulse, scraping down side as needed, until chopped into 1/4-in. pieces. Transfer to a large bowl. Pulse mushrooms, in batches, until chopped into 1/2-in. pieces, then transfer to bowl with vegetables.
- HEAT a pot over medium. Add 2 tbsp oil, then vegetables and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetable mixture appears dry, 9 to 10 min.
- DRAIN beans into a bowl, reserving liquid. Whirl beans in a food processor until puréed. Add 2 to 3 tbsp of reserved liquid until mixture is smooth and measures a heaping 1 1/2 cups.
- ADD remaining 2 tsp oil, garlic, tomato paste, paprika and cinnamon to the vegetables. Cook, stirring often, until the mixture starts to stick to pan, about 2 min. Add wine and scrape up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Stir in bean purée, broth, tomatoes and thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium-low, stirring occasionally, until thick, 18 to 20 min. Discard thyme sprigs before serving. Serve over pasta or polenta.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 11 g,
- 33 g,
- 11 g,
- 12 g,
- 865 mg.
FILED UNDER: vegan