Mushroom GravyBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
2 1/2 cups
This perfectly-seasoned, silky gravy is the ideal topper for your mash this Thanksgiving.
- 2 cups mushroom broth
- 1 14-g pkg dried porcini mushrooms , finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sherry , or
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp white miso , or
- low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Combine broth with dried mushrooms in a large measuring cup. Set aside until mushrooms are rehydrated, about 15 min. Whisk in sherry, Dijon, thyme, miso, and onion and garlic powders.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Evenly sprinkle flour overtop. Whisk constantly until mixture foams and smells nutty, about 1 min.
- Reduce heat to medium. While whisking constantly, gradually pour in broth mixture. Boil, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens to a gravy consistency, 2 to 4 min. Season with pepper.