Tender grilled peppers and lightly charred tomatoes, onions, eggplant and zucchini sandwiched between soft doughy pieces of focaccia make a scrumptious lunch or light dinner.
Grilled tomato and veggie sandwich
This article has not been rated yet.
- 2 large firm but ripe tomatoes
- 1 Japanese eggplant
- 1 small yellow or green zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dried basil , or oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 thick slices focaccia or french bread
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro , or basil
- Lightly oil grill and heat barbecue to medium-high. Slice each tomato into 4 thick rounds. Slice unpeeled eggplant diagonally into 1/2-inch- (1-cm-) thick rounds. Cut zucchini diagonally into 8 long slices, about 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) thick. Core and seed pepper, then slice into quarters. Cut onion in half, then slice each half into wedges. Place all vegetables in a large bowl. Pour in oil and vinegar, then sprinkle with basil, salt and pepper. Using your hands or a large wooden spoon, mix until well coated.
- Place vegetables on grill. Depending on the size of your barbecue, you may have to cook in 2 batches. Grill until tender and lightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Tomatoes will only need a couple of minutes. Remove each piece as it is done to a large plate. When there is enough room, place bread on grill and lightly toast.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir mayonnaise with Dijon, honey and coriander. Spread on toasted bread, then layer with alternating slices of tomato and vegetables. Top with other slice of bread. Terrific warm or at room temperature
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8.6 g,
- 54.7 g,
- 11.8 g,
- 5.8 g,
- 1035 mg.