Hearty Vegan Minestrone
about 2 cups
1. Preheat the oven to 425F.
2. Place the beets in a large baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until totally and completely fork-tender, 60 to 70 minutes, depending on size. (If you’re doing this with sweet potatoes, they’ll take about the same amount of time; carrots will take less time, 40 to 45 minutes.)
3. Remove from the oven and let cool enough so that you can peel them, then cut into smaller chunks.
4. Place the beets, garlic, nuts, olive oil and the vinegar in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until you’ve got the texture of your dreams, which is different for all of us. For me, it’s not perfectly smooth but processed enough to spread. If you like chunkier or smoother, then go for it.
5. Once your desired texture is reached, fold in the sour cream, if using. Season with salt, pepper and more vinegar. Transfer to your cutest bowl, drizzle with more olive oil, and top with dill.
Dip can be made up to 1 week ahead, wrapped tightly and refrigerated.
Recipe reprinted from Nothing Fancy. Copyright © 2019 by Alison Roman. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.