Grilled caesar saladBy Chatelaine
Grill halved heads of romaine for a crisp and creamy caesar salad to start off your weekend BBQ.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 anchovy fillets , finely chopped, or 1 1/2 tsp anchovy paste
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices bacon , preferably low-sodium
- 4 large heads romaine lettuce
- PREHEAT barbecue to medium. Whisk oil with parmesan, lemon juice, garlic, mayo, Dijon, anchovies, sugar and Worcester- shire in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- HEAT a medium frying pan over medium- high. Add bacon. Cook until crisp, 4 to 5 min. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Crumble into pieces when cooled.
- HALVE each head of romaine lettuce lengthwise, forming a boat shape. Oil grill and barbecue lettuce, cut-side down, with lid open, until grill marks form on the underside of the lettuce, about 1 min. Transfer to a large plate. Drizzle each lettuce boat with 2 tbsp dressing. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon. Serve immediately. Dressing will keep well, refrigerated, up to 3 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 7 g,
- 14 g,
- 10 g,
- 8 g,
- 153 mg.