Sweet and crunchy bacon bitesBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
- 9 slices bacon
- 9 canned whole water chestnuts , rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1/4 fresh pineapple , cut into 9 1-in. pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp hot chili-garlic sauce
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp grated fresh ginger
- POSITION rack in top third of oven. Preheat to 450F. Spray a wire cooling rack with oil and set on a large baking sheet.
- CUT bacon slices in half crosswise to make 18 pieces. Arrange half the bacon strips on a cutting board. Set a water chestnut on each slice and wrap bacon around it. Lay seam-side down on rack. Repeat with remaining bacon, wrapping strips around pineapple pieces.
- BAKE in top third of oven until tops are crispy and browned, about 20 min. Flip bacon bites and bake 5 more min. Remove from oven and lightly dab with paper towels. Set aside to cool slightly.
- COMBINE water with sugar, vinegar, chili-garlic sauce, cornstarch and ginger in a small saucepan and set over medium-high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 min. Transfer sauce to a small bowl. Serve with warm bacon bites.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 11 g,
- 8 g,
- 1 g,
- 277 mg.
- Good source of
- vitamin B12