Grated Parmesan keeps these burgers moist without overpowering the veal’s delicate taste. Burgers make a fine main-course dish, especially when flavored like these with aromatic basil and garlic.
Parmesan veal burgers
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil , or 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 500 g lean ground veal , or beef
- 2 tsp vegetable oil , optional
- In a large bowl, whisk egg. Add cheese, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Using a fork, lightly beat until well mixed. Add meat and work with the fork or your hands until blended. Shape into 4 burgers, each about 4 inches (10 cm) wide and 3/4 inch (1.5 cm) thick. Use right away or wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day before using. Or freeze for longer storage.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, or use a nonstick pan, set over medium-low heat. Sauté burgers, uncovered, for about 8 minutes per side for medium-well burgers or until no longer pink in the middle. Serve with mashed potatoes and a dilled cucumber salad or on soft rolls topped with sour cream and sliced tomatoes.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 29.3 g,
- 2.5 g,
- 12 g,