Italian polenta stuffingBy Chatelaine
- 1-kg tube polenta , cut into 1-in. cubes
- 1/2 cup cranberries , fresh or dried
- 500 g hot or mild Italian sausages , casings discarded
- 3 leeks , sliced (white and tender light-green parts only), about 3 cups
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan
- PREHEAT oven to 400F. Scatter polenta and cranberries in a 9 × 13-in. baking dish. Set aside.
- HEAT a large frying pan over medium-high. Crumble sausage meat in pan. Stir often, breaking up meat until no longer pink, about 5 min. Spoon meat into baking dish, leaving oil in pan. Return pan to burner and reduce heat to medium. Add leeks. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 min. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 min. Add to polenta mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Season with pepper. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- BAKE, uncovered, in centre of oven, until polenta is light brown around the edges, about 30 min. Sprinkle with parsley.
Stuffing can be prepared (but not baked) 1 day ahead. Refrigerate, covered, up to 1 day. Add 10 min to baking time.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 16 g,
- 33 g,
- 19 g,
- 442 mg.
Codorniu Brut Clasico, Spain, $13.This sparkler from Spain delivers everything champagne does except the hefty price tag. A blend of the traditional cava grapes xarello, macabeo, and parellada, this dry sparkling wine has a fine, persistent mousse and is the perfect tipple for any celebration. — Jamie Drummond