Cumin chicken with avocado and orange salsa
We skipped the usual thick breading in favour of a light sprinkling of seasonings, then sided these quick-cooking cutlets with a creamy avocado-and-orange salsa.
- 1 large orange , preferably seedless
- 1 ripe avocado , preferably firm
- 1 plum tomato
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro , or 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- olive oil
- 1 1/4 lb chicken or turkey scaloppini
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- generous pinch salt
- generous pinch cayenne pepper
- generous pinch black pepper , or cayenne pepper
- Slice a small piece off top and bottom of orange. Cut away peel and white pith. Over a medium bowl, carefully slice out orange segments, leaving the membrane that separates them. Squeeze membrane to release any extra juice, then discard membrane. Slice avocado in half. Discard pit. Scoop out flesh from peel. Chop avocado, then tomato. Add to bowl along with cilantro. Gently stir. Lightly drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- If chicken pieces are large, slice into 4 serving-sized pieces. Lightly coat a large frying pan with oil and set over medium-high. Sprinkle both sides of chicken cutlets with cumin, salt and pepper. Cook until lightly golden and springy when pressed, 3 to 5 min per side. You might need to cook in 2 batches.
- Remove chicken to plates and top with salsa. Wonderful with toasted flatbread or naan.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 34 g,
- 9 g,
- 11 g,
- 4 g,
- 84 mg.