If making ahead, cook pasta separately following package directions and stir in just before serving. Simmering a piece of Parmigiano-Reggiano rind in the soup adds depth of flavour and umami notes. Remove rind before serving.
Ground Turkey Minestrone SoupBy Chatelaine
4 to 6
A mix of ground turkey, sautéed carrots and onions, mixed beans and pasta makes for a delicious winter soup.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 carrot , chopped
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 450 g lean ground turkey
- 1 540 mL can mixed beans
- 1/2 cup short Pasta , such as ditali or tubetti
- 1 142 g pkg baby spinach , (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Heat a large pot over medium. Add oil, then onion, carrot, seasoning and salt. Season with pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, 4 to 6 min. Add tomato paste and turkey. Cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until meat is no longer pink, 4 to 5 min.
2. Stir in beans and liquid, 4 cups water and pasta. Bring to a boil over medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, about 10 min. Stir in spinach and cook until just wilted, about 1 min.
3. Divide minestrone among bowls and sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 23 g,
- 33 g,
- 10 g,
- 6 g,
- 636 mg.
- Excellent source of