Lobster, Clam And Mussels BoilBy Chatelaine
One of the mouth-watering recipes in our ultimate East Coast seafood boil guide. Feast on tender lobsters and mussels doused in velvety garlic butter.
- sea salt
- 680 g multicoloured baby potatoes
- 8 corn cobs , husks removed and snapped in half
- 8 live lobsters , (about 500 g each)
- 2.5 kg small or medium-sized quahogs , (hard-shelled clams), such as littleneck
- 2 900-g bags mussels
- clarified garlic butter , (see recipe below)
- lemon wedges
- Measure and fill a very large pot (with a tight-fitting lid) three-quarters full with water. Stir in 3/4 tsp sea salt for every 1 cup water. Bring to a boil over high. Add potatoes. Cover and cook for 5 min. Add corn. Cover and continue cooking until potatoes are fork-tender, 4 to 6 min. Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes and corn to a medium bowl. Cover tightly with foil.
- Add lobsters to pot one at a time by carefully grasping tail and lowering headfirst into boiling water. When water returns to a boil, cover with lid. Reduce heat to medium. Boil lobsters until shells are bright orange and an antenna pulls away easily, 10 to 11 min. Immediately plunge into a very large bowl of cold water.
- Wash clams and mussels under cold running water. Pull off any visible beards on mussels. Tap any open clams and mussels on the counter. Discard any that don’t close, or have broken shells.
- Add clams and mussels to pot. Bring back to a boil. Boil, covered, until they have opened, 5 to 8 min. Using a slotted spoon, transfer them into a large bowl.
- Transfer lobster, clams, mussels, potatoes and corn to a table lined with newspapers (or waterproof tablecloth). Discard any clams or mussels that are not open. Serve with Clarified Garlic Butter and lemon wedges.
Clarified Garlic Butter
Divide 4 garlic cloves, minced, between 8 small dishes. Melt 2 cups unsalted butter in a medium saucepan over low. Cook, without stirring, until milk solids separate from fat, 10 to 15 min. (Do not let butter turn brown.) Remove from heat and set aside for 5 min. Skim off and discard any foam. Slowly pour clear yellow butter into bowls, leaving milk solids in pan. If making in advance, reheat by microwaving until melted, 30 sec.