French-toast sandwiches with raspberry cream
Want to wake up your Valentine with something special tomorrow? Try our sinfully rich French toast with creamy mascarpone and raspberry filling.
- 1 loaf french bread , about 6-in wide
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tsp butter , melted
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds , optional
- icing sugar , for dusting
- 275-g container mascarpone , or 1 cup ricotta, preferably extra smooth
- 170-g container raspberries
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- PLACE mascarpone in medium bowl. Using a spoon, stir and mash in raspberries and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Reserve.
- SLICE 12 1/2-in. thick slices of bread. Keep rest of loaf for another use. Spread mascarpone mixture over 6 slices. Top with remaining bread slices. Place sandwiches in a 9 × 13-in. baking dish, bunching close together to fit.
- WHISK eggs with milk in a medium bowl, adding 2 tbsp brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Pour over sandwiches. Turn each sandwich to soak up egg mixture and fully coat. If making ahead, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 4 hours. (If left longer, bread will become too wet.)
- PREHEAT oven to 450F when ready to bake. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove sandwiches from refrigerator. Place on parchment, spacing so they’re not touching. Bake in centre of oven until sandwich bottoms are golden, about 10 min. Remove baking sheet to a heatproof surface and brush tops with butter. Using a large spatula, turn sandwiches, then sprinkle with nuts. Continue to bake until deep golden on both sides, about 8 more min. Let sit for 5 min before dusting with icing sugar. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 12 g,
- 47 g,
- 29 g,
- 4 g,
- 578 mg.