Summer cherry panzanellaBy Chatelaine
Grilled bread, fresh fruit, vegetables and creamy cheese equals one of the best summer salads we've ever tasted.
- 4 slices Italian bread , preferably day old
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cups cherries , pitted and halved
- 341-g pkg cherry tomatoes , halved
- 300 g goat cheese , about one whole package
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- sliced toasted almonds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- fresh pepper
- PREHEAT barbecue to medium. Brush 1-in.-thick slices Italian bread with 2 tbsp olive oil. Barbecue until toasted and grill marks form, 2 to 3 min per side. Transfer to a plate. Cut garlic clove in half and rub the cut side on toasted bread. Chop bread into bite-sized pieces. It should measure about 5 cups.
- WHISK 1/4 cup olive oil with red-wine vinegar and honey in a large bowl. Season with fresh pepper. Add cherries and tomatoes, to bowl. Toss to coat. Divide grilled bread among 4 plates. Scatter with cherry mixture, then sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese, basil and toasted sliced almonds.
How to halve cherry tomatoes
Nutrition (per serving)
- 22 g,
- 46 g,
- 41 g,
- 5 g,
- 601 mg.
- Excellent source of
Savoury cherry salad
Pair it with: A crisp pinot grigio.
Hailing from the higher altitudes of Trentino, Italy, this fresh white marries ripe pear, honey, nuts and spice with a good snap of acidity. It’s a perfect match with this fruity salad.
Top pick: Bollini Pinot Grigio, Italy, $19.