We levelled up this meal-in-a-bowl salad with smoked trout, then a fresher-than-fresh dressing and all the toppings.
Hot-Smoked Trout And Rice Noodle SaladBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
- 200 g rice vermicelli noodles
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 small shallot , thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 bird's eye chili , thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 mini cucumbers , thinly sliced
- 2 heads baby gem lettuce , thinly sliced
- 2 cups loosely packed mixed herbs , such as basil, mint and cilantro, divided
- 180 g hot-smoked trout , separated into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted cashews
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Remove from heat and add noodles. Cover and set aside, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 6 to 8 min.
- Meanwhile, whisk lime juice, fish sauce and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in shallot, garlic and bird’s eye chili.
- Drain and rinse noodles under cool running water. Drain again.
- Add noodles, cucumber, lettuce and half of the herbs to dressing. Toss gently to combine.
- Divide salad among 4 plates. Top with trout. Sprinkle with cashews and remaining herbs.
Hot-smoked trout (or salmon) uses a combination of smoke and heat to “cook” the fish, unlike cold-smoked options, which retain a raw-like texture. Look for hot-smoked fish in vacuum-sealed packaging in the refrigerated seafood section of your grocery store.