Summer strawberry tarts
8 to 10 tarts
Using frozen tart shells makes this an express dessert.
- 255-g pkg frozen tart shells , or 9 in. pie shell
- 2 cups cold mascarpone , or cream cheese
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp orange liqueur , or amaretto
- 2 cups sliced strawberries , or a mix of berries
- To bake frozen tart shells, preheat oven to 375F (190C). Remove shells from freezer. Thaw for 5 to 10 minutes at room temperature. Place on a baking sheet. Bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely on a rack. To bake frozen pie shell, preheat oven to 400F (200C). Remove shell from freezer. Let thaw 10 minutes. Prick side and bottom of shell with a fork. Bake on bottom rack of 400F (200C) oven until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely on a rack.
- Meanwhile, place cheese, sugar, 2 tablespoons (30 mL) liqueur and 1/4 cup (50 mL) berries in a food processor. Whirl until smooth, scraping down mixture. Add more sugar, if needed.
- Fill each cooled tart shell with cheese mixture and smooth surface. Or scrape into pie shell and smooth surface. Toss remaining berries with 1 tablespoon (15 mL) liqueur and a generous pinch of granulated sugar. Fan out strawberries and arrange in an attractive pattern on top of tarts or pie. Refrigerate about 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with a sprig of mint, if desired.
Make ahead tip
Bake and cool pastry shells. Leave, covered, at room temperature up to 1 day. Prepare mixture and refrigerate up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature. Just before serving, fill shells with berry mixture, then top with berries.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2.3 g,
- 14 g,
- 15.8 g,
- 0.6 g,
- 112 mg.