For all your Holiday must-haves click here for our Shopping List.
10 to 12 Wedges
We've replaced a time-consuming homemade crust with store-bought puff pastry, to rave reviews. We also added tart cranberries to make this Christmas classic even more festive.
- 3 clementines
- 2 baking apples , such as Granny Smith
- 682-ml or 745-ml jar mincemeat
- 1 cup frozen cranberries
- 397-pkg frozen puff pastry dough , thawed
- 1 egg
- generous pinches granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp apple jelly
- Place rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 475F (250C). Peel clementines. Separate segments, then coarsely chop. Peel apples, if you wish. Coarsely chop. Place all in a large bowl along with mincemeat and cranberries. Stir to mix.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Lightly sprinkle counter with flour and place pastry on top. Dust rolling pin with flour. Roll pastry into a thin circle, about 16 in. (40 cm) wide. Don’t worry if it’s not perfect. Loosely roll pastry around pin, then unroll over sheet. It will overhang. Mound mincemeat mixture in centre of pastry, leaving a 3-in. (7.5-cm) edge uncovered. Fold pastry over fruit, overlapping in a circular pattern, in one direction. Centre of pie should not be covered. In a bowl, whisk egg with 1 tbsp (15 mL) cold water. Brush over pastry. Don’t let it pool. Sprinkle pastry with sugar.
- Place on bottom rack. Reduce temperature to 375F (190C). Bake until pastry is golden, 35 to 45 min. If filling begins to dry out, loosely cover filling with foil for the last 15 min of baking. Remove pie from oven. Melt jelly in the microwave. Brush over filling. Let pie stand 10 min before cutting into wedges. Pie is best warm. If making ahead, store cooled pie, covered and refrigerated, for up to a day.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 72 g,
- 26 g,
- 5 g,