Tonight, in just 25 minutes, you can take your taste buds to Italy. All it takes is five simple ingredients: tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive oil and al dente pasta.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 796-mL can plum tomatoes
- 450-g pkg spaghetti pasta
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- grated parmesan , optional
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high. Add oil, then garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, 1 min. Do not brown garlic. Add tomatoes and their juice, breaking tomatoes into bite-sized chunks. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is slightly thickened, 10 to 12 min.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water, following package directions but omitting salt, until al dente. Drain.
- Add pasta to tomato sauce. Stir to coat. Remove from heat. Let stand until pasta absorbs sauce, 2 to 3 min. Sprinkle with basil and parmesan just before serving.
Chatelaine quickies: One-pot pasta
Nutrition (per serving)
- 262 g,
- 94 g,
- 13 g,
- 6 g,
CLASSIC PASTA | MELLOW VALPOLICELLA
The smooth texture and restrained fruit in this red blend lift the basil, garlic and tomato flavours of Pasta Pomodoro without overwhelming the delicate herbs. Unlike many powerhouse reds, this simple and elegant offering clocks in at a reasonable 12 percent alcohol.
Masi Modello Rosso, Italy, $13.