Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta with BaconBy Chatelaine
Creamy and satisfyingly filling, but jam-packed with vitamins, this fettuccine is perfect to fend off chilly winter weather.
- 375 g fettuccine pasta
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon , chopped
- 20 sage leaves
- 1 onion , grated
- 1 large carrot , peeled and grated
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 cups frozen diced butternut squash
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
1. Cook pasta following package directions until tender. Reserve 1 1/2 cups pasta water before draining. Return pasta to pot. Meanwhile, heat a medium saucepan over medium-high. Add bacon and cook until crisp, 4 to 6 min. Use a slotted spoon to transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate.
2. Add sage to pan with bacon fat and cook until dark green and crisp, 1 to 2 min. Transfer to plate with bacon. Reduce heat to medium. Discard all but 2 tbsp fat from pan.
3. Add onion, carrot and garlic to pan and cook until softened, 5 to 6 min. Add squash, reserved pasta water and salt. Season with pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high and cook until tender, 6 to 8 min.
4. Transfer vegetables and any liquid to a blender. Purée until smooth.
5. Add squash mixture, sour cream and half of bacon and sage leaves to pasta, stirring to coat. Divide among 4 bowls and sprinkle with remaining bacon and sage leaves.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 24 g,
- 87 g,
- 20 g,
- 5 g,
- 785 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin A