Grilled Rock Cornish game hens
This article has not been rated yet.
- 2 750 g Rock Cornish game hens , split in half
- 2 lemons
- 6 garlic cloves , crushed, or 1 1/2 tbsp bottled minced garlic
- 2 tsp Tabasco sauce , or other hot sauce
- If Cornish hens are frozen, thaw completely, then split in half along the back and breastbone. Oil grill and preheat barbecue. Finely grate peel from lemons and squeeze out juice. Stir juice and peel with garlic and hot sauce.
- To precook hens, begin by placing each half, bone-side down, on a piece of heavy foil large enough to overlap ends. Bring up sides slightly and pour lemon mixture overtop. Tightly seal packets and place on preheated barbecue, seam-side up, for 25 minutes. Don’t turn. Open one end of each packet and pour juices into a heat-proof dish, then unwrap fully.
- Or, to precook hens in the microwave, snugly place halves, skin-side down, in a microwave-safe dish such as an 8-inch (2-L) square dish. Pour lemon mixture overtop. Cover and microwave on high for 20 minutes. Save juices.
- Place precooked halves on grill bone-side down. Grill on medium heat, turning often and basting with juices for first 15 minutes of grilling, until golden and meat feels springy, about 30 minutes.