Vegan “Scallop” And Navy Bean CassouletBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
1 h 10 min
Mushrooms stand in for scallops in this hearty and delicious dish.
- 400 g very thick-stemmed king oyster mushrooms
- 2 tbsp white miso
- 2 tsp mirin
- 4 tsp olive oil , divided
- 1 small onion , diced
- 2 celery stalks , diced
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups drained rehydrated navy beans , (or 1 540-mL can navy beans, drained and rinsed)
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup mushroom broth
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley , or celery leaves
- Cut mushrooms into 1-in. thick round “scallops.” Lightly score both sides, using a paring knife, in a cross-hatch pattern, about 2 mm deep. Stir miso and mirin with 1 cup water in a large shallow dish until dissolved. Add scallops. Set aside and let marinate, flipping halfway, for 30 min.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium high. Add 3 tsp oil, then use tongs to transfer each scallop to pan, reserving marinating liquid. Cook until liquid evaporates and scallops are golden brown on bottoms, 4 to 6 min. Reduce heat to medium and flip scallops over. Cook until golden on bottoms, about 2 min. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 1 tsp oil to pan. Add onion and celery. Cook until vegetables are softened, 4 to 5 min. Sprinkle flour overtop, then add beans, garlic, thyme and bay leaf. Stir until flour is no longer visible. Pour in broth and reserved marinating liquid. Gently boil until mixture thickens and reduces to a stew-like consistency, 7 to 10 min.
- Discard bay leaf. Return scallops to pan. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 16 g,
- 45 g,
- 6 g,
- 11 g,
- 920 mg.